12 Fresh egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 t Cream of tartar
3/4 C Granulated Sugar (Substitute
Granulated Enthritol or your favorite substitute and 1/2t Xantham Gum for Sugar Reduced cakes)
1 1/2 t Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 C powdered sugar
1 C sifted Cake Flour
1/4 t Salt
1/2 t Almond Extract
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Continue to beat egg mixture, slowly incorporating granulated sugar. Be sure each sugar addition is dissolved before adding the next.
- Continue beating until whites are soft peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar, flour and salt together twice. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites. Fold gently just until flour disappears with spatula. Do NOT stir. Repeat sifting and folding carefully in flour mixture .
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to release any air pockets or tap on counter. Bake in center of 375°F oven until top springs back approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan, with tube resting on a bottle. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- To remove cake from pan: Run a thin knife between side of pan and cooled cake to loosen all around, taking care not to tear the cake. Repeat, running knife between center tube and cake.