"Food and Wine, Best of the Best" is fun and updated
1/4 C Unsweet Cocoa Powder
1 1/4 LB bittersweet chocolate (at least a 60% cacao), chop coarse
2 T Unsalted Butter
1 Vanilla Bean, split and seeds scraped, or 11/2t Vanilla Extract
3 1/2 C Heavy Cream
3 1/2 C Whole Milk
2 T Cornstarch
1/2 t Salt
2/3 C Sugar
1. Whisk together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a medium heavy bottom saucepan. Whisk slowly in the milk and cream. Add the Vanilla bean and seeds.
2. Bring to boil slowly over medium head, whisking constantly. Let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate and butter, along with the vanilla extract till smooth. Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface. Let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes; then transfer to the refrigerator and let chill completely at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Graham Cracker Disks:
1/2 LB (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
1/2 Vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
2 1/2 C Graham Cracker Crumbs (about 20 Crackers)
1 C Sugar
3. To make the graham cracker disk, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Combine the butter and vanilla bean and seeds in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Remove from the heat and keep warm. Discard the vanilla bean before using.
5. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bow, add the melted butter, and stir until combined. Pat the mixture evenly and firmly into an 18 X 12" rimmed baking sheet. Bake until light golden brown and set, about 10 minutes Let cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Using a 3 inch cookie cutter or a very sharp paring knife, carefully cut out 8 disks
Rum Whipped Cream:
2 C Heavy Cream, Very Cold
2 T Confectioners' sugar
1 T Dark Rum (optional)
Seeds scraped from 1/2 Vanilla Bean or 1/2 t Vanilla Extract
7. To make the whipped cream, combine the cream, sugar, rum, if using, and vanilla seeds in a large bow and whip, using a handheld mixer or a balloon whisk, until soft peaks form.
8. Divide the pudding among 8 shallow bowls and spread some of the whipped cream evenly over the pudding. Top each with a graham cracker disk.
For more fun top with small shaved chocolate pieces sprinkled on the whipped cream.
Lower in carbs than traditional Pie, familiar yet fresh this recipe will please even the most picky chocolate lover!