- 1 1/2 C all-purpose Flour
- 1 t Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 t Baking powder
- 1/4 t Baking soda
- 1/4 t Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 t Allspice, ground
- 1/4 t Cloves, ground
- 3/4 C Mixed candied fruits and peels, diced
- 1/2 C Raisins or snipped pitted dates
- 1/2 C Candied red or green cherries, quartered
- 1/2 C Pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C Brown sugar. packed
- 1/2 C Orange juice or apple juice
- 1/3 C Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 T Mild-flavored molasses or corn syrup if you don't like the flavor
- Brandy or fruit juice
1. Grease and lightly flour an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan (or two 5 3/4x3x2-inch loaf pans). Set pan(s) aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Add fruits and peels, raisins, cherries, and nuts; mix ingredients well.
2. In another mixing bowl beat eggs; stir in brown sugar, juice, butter, and molasses until combined. Stir into fruit mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s). (The smaller pans will be quite full.)
3. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours for the 8x4x2-inch pan, 55 to 65 minutes for the 5-3/4x3x2-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. If necessary, cover pan(s) loosely with foil the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Place cake in pan(s) on a wire rack and cool thoroughly.
4. Remove cake from pan(s). Wrap cake in brandy- or fruit juice-moistened 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Overwrap with foil. Store in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 weeks to mellow flavors. Re-moisten cheesecloth with brandy or fruit juice weekly or as needed.
- If using foil pans, place on a baking sheet for added stability.
- Prepare as above, except omit nutmeg, allspice, and cloves; substitute light-colored corn syrup for the molasses. Add 1 t finely shredded lemon peel and 1 T lemon juice with the corn syrup.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- Servings Per Recipe 16, cal. (kcal) 228, Fat, total (g) 7, chol. (mg) 37, sat. fat (g) 3, carb. (g) 37, Monosaturated fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 20, protein (g) 3, vit. A (IU) 194, vit. C (mg) 4, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 8, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 95, Potassium (mg) 164, calcium (mg) 40, iron (mg) 1, Fruit () 1, Other Carb () 2, Fat () 1,