It is important to find a good juicer and there are many on the market. I found the Omega Fruit and Vegetable Juicer model 4000. It has served me well through the years, only replacing a worn blade once. My best recommendation is to do some research before making a purchase. There is a great deal of variation in pricing and quality. Most important in my estimation, is the quality of the blades,and rpm while not juicing. You really want one that maintains high r.p.m. for a longer time with a higher powered motor.
Once you have selected your Juicer, it is important to evaluate which produce you will be purchasing and develop a menu plan. There is always a debate over organic or conventional.
Each year, approximately 10 pounds of consumed pesticide is sprayed per each man, woman and child. Only 2% of that sprayed is estimated to actually serve it's purpose, leaving 98% to be absorbed by the air, water and soil. The classic book, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, taking over a ten years, helped spur DDT being banned in the United States. Over 20 years later DDT can still be found in the soil and food chain. Did you know, in the early 90's 17% of carrots tested positive for detectable levels of this deadly compound. As well, it is important what country your produce comes from. Certain pesticides that are banned in the United States, are still legal in Mexico and shipped to the U.S. for consumption. Root vegetables and potatoes are at a high risk for chemical content due to pesticides. Did you know it takes 2 weeks for Potatoes to "offgas" before we should consume them? The E.P.A. identified 64 chemicals with potential Cancer causing compounds. Of these, 80% of our Cancer risk come from 13 pesticides used widely over 15 food crops. These are found in many crops, however, the crops of greatest concern and to buy organic in descending order are:
The infamous "Dirty Dozen" is a list of the chemically dirtiest produce:
- Bell peppers