Another highlight of the event was the creation of an Heirloom Cherry Tomato salad, made from over 1,000 pounds of tomatoes. Not only was the salad given out for free as a part of a healthy lunch that also included a whole wheat roll and sun-dried tomato spread, but the brand took it even one step further and donated some of the salad to City Harvest - the world’s first food rescue organization which is dedicated to helping feed nearly 1.4 million New Yorker's struggling to put meals on their tables.
courtesy of Chef Donny Rogoff
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad
- 3 cups Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- ¼ tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- ¼ tbsp Chopped Scallions
- ½ tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Approximately 4 mint leaves, finely cut
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ tsp Fine Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Finely Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 Whole Lemon - Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Sugar To taste
In a bowl, mix tomato halves with chopped herbs and gently toss. In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice and stir. Add sugar to alleviate tartness. Drizzle dressing over tomatoes and herbs and gently combine until all tomatoes are fully coated.
Sun dried Tomato Spread
- 1 cup Rehydrated Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- ½ tbsp Fresh Oregano
- ½ tbsp Fresh Thyme
- ½ tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- ¼ tbsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt to Taste
In a bowl, add tomatoes, herbs, garlic, pepper, and salt. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning levels as desired. For a more even consistency, use an immersion blender.